GATRA Bus Riding Guidelines
If this is your first experience riding the bus, you may be a little nervous. Don’t worry! Your friendly GATRA drivers are ready to help you in any way they can. So relax and enjoy the ride!
Give us a Wave!
GATRA operates on a FLAG STOP policy. This means you may board the bus anywhere along the route where it is safe to do so. When you see your bus approaching, just WAVE and the bus will pull over at a safe location to pick you up. Be sure to check the destination sign over the front wind shield for route identification.
To ensure everyone has a safe and pleasant bus ride, please follow these helpful travel tips:
- Food and beverages are prohibited while riding the bus.
- Smoking on the bus is prohibited by law.
- Respect fellow passengers. Music must be listened to with headphones and cell phone use should be limited.
- Please sit down immediately after boarding the bus. If there is standing room only, please stand behind the white line and keep the aisle clear.
- Strollers and shopping carts must be folded and removed from the aisle.
- Please keep your hands and head inside the bus and clear of opening and closing doors.
- Children 6 years and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Please give elderly, pregnant, and riders with disabilities first choice of the seats in the front of the bus.
- NEVER cross the street in front of the bus! Wait for the bus to depart then cross the street when it is safe to do so.
Quick Tips for Riding the Bus
- Arrive at the bus stop three to five minutes before your scheduled departure time and confirm that the route number for your bus is correct before boarding the bus.
- Before boarding, stand in a location where you will be visible to the bus operator and signal the operator that you wish to board.
- To deboard the bus, pull the cord and the driver will pull over at the next safe location to let you off the bus.
Rules of Conduct
Drivers have the authority to insure the safety and comfort of all passengers:
- Proper behavior is expected at all times.
- GATRA reserves the right to refuse transportation to any person under the influence of alcohol or drugs or whose conduct or personal hygiene is such as to be objectionable to other passengers.
Paying Your Fare
GATRA buses are equipped with electronic fareboxes. Exact fare is strongly suggested. Please do not ask the driver for change, as they are not permitted to handle fares. No cash is returned from the farebox. Change is given in the form of stored value cards for future ride usage ONLY and is not redeemable for cash. Fares are non-refundable and non-transferable.
STUDENT FARE applies to students through high school only.
No service on Sundays and the following holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.